Training & Education
Expand your knowledge. Improve your performance. Strengthen your impact.
AccessMatters provides critical training support for family planning and sexual and reproductive health care providers locally, regionally, and nationally.
As the engine behind a nationally recognized sexual and reproductive health training center, we uniquely provide family planning service providers access to field-tested training and staff development programs, developed by our nationally-recognized experts.
Through training and education, AccessMatters breaks down stigma, ensures confidentiality, and normalizes sexuality, gender expression, and sexual and reproductive health services. AccessMatters provides distance learning and in-person training opportunities using collaborative and adult learning principles.
Nationally recognized, AccessMatters’ Training programs provide tailored solutions for hundreds of healthcare and social service providers. Our training programs support Title X priorities by ensuring staff throughout the region have the skills, knowledge and outlook necessary to deliver effective, comprehensive family planning services.
Simple solutions to meet complex demands.
Recognizing the significant demands of health care professionals and their complex workforce development needs, our training solutions can be delivered onsite, in our centrally located training facility, via a live webinar or video instruction, through coaching and facilitated peer-to-peer learning, or at several conferences throughout the year. AccessMatters provides distance learning and in-person training opportunities that are evidence-based, theory-driven, and grounded in best practices in adult learning principles. Education and training services include:
- In-person training
- Online trainings and distance-learning
- Curriculum development and review
- Training in federally-approved Evidence-Based Interventions (EBIs)
- Clinician education (doctors, nurses, residents, fellows)
- Clinic staff trainings (front desk, medical assistants, counselors, etc.)
- HIV counseling and testing certification
- Patient/client group education
- Parent/mentor education
- Lunch and learn sessions
- Speakers for conferences, grand rounds, seminars, etc.
- Continuing education (CEUs available for additional fee)
The latest intelligence, delivered.
Together with our partners from such esteemed institutions such as Johns Hopkins, University of Pennsylvania, Drexel University and more, we design, deliver, implement and evaluate programs that not only improve provider performance, but also are designed to improve the health outcomes of those served.
AccessMatters works regularly with local, state and national non-profit organizations and public agencies. Below is a small sample of our clients and partners.
- Delaware Department of Health, Family Planning Division
- West Virginia Office of Maternal, Child and Family Health, Family Planning Program
- Unity Health Care, Inc. – Washington DC
- Maryland Department of Health, Maternal and Child Health Bureau
- Family Health Council of Central Pennsylvania
- Adagio Health – Western Pennsylvania
- Virginia Department of Health, Division of Women’s and Infant’s Health
- Maternal and Family Health Services – Northeast Pennsylvania
- School District of Philadelphia
- Philadelphia Department of Public Health
- Title X Health Centers
- Crozer-Keystone Health Center
- Hamilton Health Center/ Greater Harrisburg Healthy Start
AccessMatters is part of the Federal Training Center Collaborative (FTTC) and has provided training and technical assistance under contracts with DHHS, Office of Population Affairs (OPA), the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA).
Our trainers have graduate degrees and certifications in education, human sexuality, public health, and social work, with more than 60 combined years of experience in education and training on sexual and reproductive health issues.
For more information, contact our Training and Capacity-Building Program at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We deliver hundreds of courses. But here are a few of our most popular.
For more than 40 years, AccessMatters has been an expert in the field of sexual and reproductive health. We can provide customized training offerings on a variety of topics, including:
- Reproductive life planning
- Quality Family Planning (QFP) guidelines
- Contraception methods and birth spacing
- Contraceptive counseling
- Pregnancy options counseling
- Family planning services, including clinic flow and billing
- Sexuality through the lifespan
- Conducting a sexual history
- Trauma-informed health services
- Sexual abuse and assault
- LGBTQ health disparities
- Providing sensitive care to LGBTQ clients
- Adolescent development and sexual health
- Teen pregnancy prevention
- Adolescent dating violence
- Intimate partner violence
- Talking to children and teens about healthy sexuality
- Sexual health services for sex workers
- Prevention, screening and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), including HIV
- Sexuality and chronic illness
- Communication models for talking about sexual health with patients/clients
- Health behavior change models
- Motivational interviewing
- Cultural competence and inclusion
Download our Training Catalog for a comprehensive list of training topics and full course descriptions.
Care for the caregivers.
Designed for and delivered to clinicians, nurses, counselors, managers and other health care providers and staff, training helps to “lift the load” of health care providers by providing specialized, science-based information that meets their precise needs. Equally important, AccessMatters provides training to teachers, parents, caregivers, mentors, and other adults engaged in this work. Importantly, in this time of great change due to health care reform, we help providers and others think about, implement, measure and improve sustainable services.
Male Training Center for Family Planning & Reproductive Health
The Male Training Center for Family Planning & Reproductive Health is a program of AccessMatters, and a collaboration with Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, School of Medicine, Center for Sexually Transmitted Disease and Reproductive Health Research, Prevention, and Training. Resources and recorded training sessions are available on the Male Training Center website.
1700 Market Street, Suite 1540 Philadelphia, PA 19103 (215) 985-2600 | email@example.com Formerly Family Planning Council -founded 1972