The Access Project
With ongoing efforts to undermine reproductive health, it is essential that we continue to expand efforts to protect reproductive rights and access. It is more important than ever that we unite to protect all that we have achieved on behalf of women and families across Pennsylvania. With the support of generous donors, AccessMatters has launched a campaign, “The Access Project,” to support a three-year health policy position at AccessMatters to preserve and expand access throughout the state.
We launched this effort in November 2017 with the hope of raising a total of $400,000 for this work. The response has been incredible. Last year, we held a successful fundraising event with Kathryn Kolbert, raising over $80,000 including generous matching grants.
To date, we’ve raised over $285,000 including matching challenge grants offered by Janet and John Haas from the Otto Haas Charitable Trust. Now we need your help to continue raising funds to meet our $400,000 goal. Every donation matters.
Please see our proposal for additional details about The Access Project.
In 2018, we expanded our team to include a health policy position. Since expanding our team, we’ve kicked off work around:
- protecting the Title X Family Planning Program,
- advocating for comprehensive sex education,
- organizing voter registration and mobilization efforts, and
- advocating for contraceptive coverage for FDA-approved contraceptives
In 2019, we are increased our advocacy work by:
- collaborating with the Attorney General’s office in the lawsuit to block the dangerous Title X rule and signed an official declaration used in the case.
- increasing collaboration and communication with key state and federal elected officials and their staff to advance sexual and reproductive health
- helping to organize the first coalition call to advance comprehensive sex ed legislation with State Representative Brian Sims
- analyzing bill language and provided substantive edits on bills, including: the contraceptive coverage guarantee, comprehensive sex education, Medicaid reimbursement for doula services, and more.
- launching a new advocacy platform that allows supporters to message and tweet their elected officials directly
- launching a storytelling project for providers and supporters to share their stories about the impact of the Title X Family Planning Program
AccessMatters works closely with like-minded groups across the state and beginning in July 2018, we began convening the Pennsylvania Campaign for Women’s Health and we have since extended our term serving in the top leadership position. The Campaign for Women’s Health is a statewide advocacy effort that supports evidence-based policy to further women’s health and economic security in Pennsylvania. This includes supporting the legislative Agenda for Women’s Health — a bold, pro-choice, legislative package of state bills sponsored and supported by the bipartisan Women’s Health Caucus of the Pennsylvania General Assembly
In light of recent events and continued attacks on sexual and reproductive health, we know our work is not over.
We need your support to ensure we can continue to expand on this important advocacy work. Please give today to help us meet and surpass our goal of $400,000.