With ongoing efforts to undermine reproductive health, it is essential that we continue to expand efforts to protect reproductive rights and access. It is more important than ever that we unite to protect all that we have achieved on behalf of women and families across Pennsylvania. With the support of generous donors, AccessMatters launched a campaign, “The Access Project,” in 2017 to support a three-year health policy position at AccessMatters to preserve and expand access throughout the state.
We launched this effort in November 2017 with the hope of raising a total of $400,000 for this work. The response has been incredible. In Fall 2018, we held a successful fundraising event with Kathryn Kolbert, raising over $80,000 including generous matching grants. To date, we’ve raised over $291,000 including matching challenge grants offered by Janet and John Haas from the Otto Haas Charitable Trust.
Now we need your help to continue raising funds to meet our $400,000 goal. Every donation matters.
Please see our proposal for additional details about The Access Project.
In 2018, we expanded our team to include a health policy position. Since expanding our team, we’ve kicked off work around:
- protecting the Title X Family Planning Program,
- advocating for comprehensive sex education,
- organizing voter registration and mobilization efforts, and
- advocating for contraceptive coverage for FDA-approved contraceptives
2019 Access Project highlights include:
- Extending our term serving in the top leadership position with the Pennsylvania Campaign for Women’s Health, a bi-partisan, statewide advocacy effort.
- Collaborating with the PA Attorney General’s office in the lawsuit to block the dangerous Title X rule and signing an official declaration used in the case;
- Forming and leading a statewide coalition of advocates to advance comprehensive sex education legislation with State Representative Brian Sims and testifying at the PA House Democratic Policy Committee’s hearing on House Bill 1586 in support of comprehensive sex education in PA
- Launching several targeted actions to mobilize AccessMatters’ supporters to act to: oppose the changes to Title X, oppose the Medicaid work requirement, and oppose family separation practices; support increases in funding for Title X; and weigh in on other important policy issues.
- Increasing collaboration and communication with 20+ key state and federal elected officials and their staff to advance sexual and reproductive health;
- Analyzing bill language and providing substantive edits on bills, including the contraceptive coverage guarantee, comprehensive sex education, Medicaid reimbursements for doula services, and more; and
- Launching a storytelling project for providers and supporters to share their stories about the impact of the Title X Family Planning Program.
AccessMatters works closely with like-minded groups across the state and beginning in July 2018, we began convening the Pennsylvania Campaign for Women’s Health and we have since extended our term serving in the top leadership position. The Campaign for Women’s Health is a statewide advocacy effort that supports evidence-based policy to further women’s health and economic security in Pennsylvania. This includes supporting the legislative Agenda for Women’s Health — a bold, pro-choice, legislative package of state bills sponsored and supported by the bipartisan Women’s Health Caucus of the Pennsylvania General Assembly
In light of recent events and continued attacks on sexual and reproductive health, we know our work is not over.
We need your support to ensure we can continue to expand on this important advocacy work. Please give today to help us meet and surpass our goal of $400,000.