Program Manager, Family PlanningDecember 2019
AccessMatters, a non-profit, public health organization located in Center City Philadelphia, envisions a future where every person has the health care and information they need to thrive. In service to that vision, AccessMatters’ mission is to protect, expand, and enhance equitable access to sexual and reproductive health care and information for all people. Our team strives to advance our mission in accordance with these guiding principles: (1) sexual health is an essential component of health and wellbeing across the life span; (2) access to quality, affordable health care – including sexual and reproductive health care – is a fundamental human right; (3) every person, family, and community deserves to be treated with dignity and respect; (4) programs and services should be evidence-based, prevention-focused, and person-centered; (5) organizational excellence is best achieved through a culture of inclusion, diversity, innovation, professionalism, and accountability; (6) clients, volunteers, staff, partners, and supporters should be treated with kindness, dignity, and respect in a trauma-informed and culturally responsible environment; and (7) everyone deserves a caring workplace environment that fosters trust, teamwork, creativity, and work-life balance where work is enjoyable and where staff are supported in their professional development and their pursuit of excellence.
Reporting to the Director, Family Planning, the Program Manager, Family Planning will assist in the daily operations of the AccessMatters Family Planning Program. The Program Manager will assist with programmatic infrastructure development as well as the development and implementation of policies and procedures relevant to managing the diverse Family Planning clinical network. Additionally, this position will be instrumental to the core Family Planning team by assisting with daily tasks, including but not limited to: preparation and dissemination of regularly scheduled communications, drafting of reports, contracts management and data monitoring, and training and capacity building activities. The Program Manager, Family Planning will interact both with AccessMatters’ internal team members and external sub-recipients and stakeholders, including AccessMatters’ Family Planning Network, consultants, community-based partners, government representatives, and the general community. This position will be a member of the core Family Planning team which resides within the Health Access and Service Delivery department within AccessMatters and is expected to participate in all departmental meetings and activities as needed. As a program leader, the Program Manager also advances AccessMatters’ organizational mission and strategic vision, serving as a role model for staff. This position is full time and exempt.
The Program Manager, Family Planning, will:
Manage Family Planning Programs and Operations
- Develop and maintain strong relationships and communication with potential and existing partner organizations and sub-recipients.
- Assure the implementation of overall program goals and objectives, the timely submission of reports/data, and required remediation to assure program goals and objectives are met.
- Engage in budget management as defined and directed by the Family Planning Leadership team.
- Assist in the development and/or modification of Family Planning guidelines, policies and procedures, curricula and other written tools as they relate to Title X and similar health programs.
- Strive to remain knowledgeable on all existing and emerging Family Planning/Title X-focused sexual and reproductive health topics and relevant political landscape.
Provide Support and Guidance for Family Planning Network Providers
- Provide day-to-day supervision and coaching to the Family Planning Network Provider staff including guidance on professional growth opportunities and/or necessary disciplinary actions, when appropriate.
- Lead efforts to improve network partner monitoring and feedback processes.
- Conduct presentations and actively participate in the preparation, revision and/or implementation of relevant trainings.
- Participate in the interviewing, hiring, training, and evaluation of program network provider staff, when appropriate.
Seek and Implement Opportunities for Program Advancement and Expansion
- Represent AccessMatters at project-related local, state, and national meetings, conferences, and training as required by the funding source.
- Assist with identifying opportunities for expansion of services, compiling information to support requests for funding, and development of partnerships, and development of proposals to fund existing and/or expand programs and services.
- Assist with efforts to identify and engage new network and community partners.
- Assist with development and dissemination of materials that provide information about network services to healthcare network partners, community partners, community members, and other stakeholders.
- Coordinate and participate in meetings, trainings, and outreach events with program partners and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- Engage in ongoing communication about program progress, including successes and challenges, with supervisor and other stakeholders, both internal and external.
Advance the Mission of AccessMatters and Fulfill Organizational Duties
- As a Program Leader, exemplify our Core Values and dedication to a culture of excellent leadership, in which leaders foster an environment where staff feel valued and appreciated, where all staff hold themselves accountable in service to our community and stakeholders, and all staff eagerly pursue excellence.
- Consistently exercise discretion and sound judgment to analyze, interpret and act, evaluating possible courses of conduct and making decisions for the best outcomes for the client, team and the organization.
- Maintain high ethical standards and conduct regarding confidentiality, integrity, dual-relationships, and professional behavior overall, representing AccessMatters effectively and positively to all internal and external constituents.
- Create and maintain an inclusive and equitable work environment that is respectful of all, embraces diversity and equity, and includes diverse perspectives and talents in problem-solving.
- Complete other projects and duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of family planning interventions across impacted communities.
- Ability to deliver high quality support services in a professional service oriented organization.
- Strong understanding of the concepts and practices associated with effective program management and administrative services.
- High degree of customer service skills and philosophy, to include professionalism, responsiveness, and follow through.
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work within a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team environment, serving diverse populations and institutions across a broad spectrum of community and clinical providers within the fields of sexual and reproductive health and maternal and child health.
- Knowledge and experience working with diverse communities with demonstrated cultural humility and responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and work in project teams and manage projects with multiple deadlines and priorities.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, coupled with highly developed interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to facilitate meetings in diverse settings.
- Demonstrated ability to think analytically and work with data to produce core reports for program planning and monitoring.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Experience with web-based collaboration platforms and information management systems, portals, and intranets.
- Ability to manage business partner relations, monitor budgets and expenditures, and follow fiscal procedures.
- Ability to self-manage, independently prioritize, assess and solve problems, negotiate solutions, and effectively handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, while taking direction as needed.
- Flexible and open to changing priorities and managing multiple tasks effectively within a compressed timeframe.
- Ability to travel for the implementation of program activities and offsite meetings in Southeastern Pennsylvania as well as across the State of Pennsylvania as needed.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in public health or other related field required; Masters in in Public Health, Social Work/Human Services or related field (or equivalent field experience) preferred. Relevant industry specific experience considered in lieu of degree where possible.
- Required – 3-5 years of professional program management experience in healthcare, health promotions, health data management, quality improvement, or other relevant function.
- Experience with customer service and service contract administration desirable; experience in a non-profit environment preferred.
- Also required – minimum of one year of experience in technical writing to create formal reports.
- Eligible for all city and state mandatory clearances, e.g. criminal and child abuse clearances.
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY: Submit cover letter and resume to the Program Manager, Family Planning position posted at our online career site, by going to this link: https://bit.ly/343YwKD Address cover letter to Elaine Petrossian, Vice President, Human Resources & Operations. Please include salary requirement and potential start date. No calls, please. Applications will be reviewed in a rolling basis with priority to those received by January 10, 2020.