Lorena Olvera Moreno
PhD, MEd, MPsT, Trainer
Lorena Olvera Moreno, PhD, MEd, MPsT, is a Mexican sexuality educator and former Fulbright awardee with more than 10 years of experience as an educator within the fields of sexuality education, reproductive justice, and reproductive health. She currently serves as Trainer at AccessMatters, facilitating workshops on adolescent sexual health, diversity and equity, and family planning. Prior to AccessMatters, Lorena has worked at the college, high school, and community level teaching human sexuality courses and developing sexuality curricula both in the United States and in Mexico. She has extensive experience organizing and planning sexuality conferences as well as facilitating workshops at international and national conferences. She received the Schiller Prize for her presentation at the 2016 American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT) Conference for her co-presentation “Cross-cultural Code-switching in Sexuality.” Lastly, Lorena has worked as a host on several radio and television shows about sexuality and she currently hosts a Spanish-language educational Facebook page where she writes about sexuality, gender equality, LGB-T issues, and relationships.
Lorena maintains an adjunct position at the College of New Jersey where she teaches “Intro to Human Sexuality.” She holds a BA in Psychology and a Masters in Psychosexual Therapy from Benemerita Universidad Autonoma de Puebla (in Mexico); as well as a M.Ed. and a Ph.D. in Human Sexuality Studies from Widener University where she received the William Stayton Award for Applied Leadership in Human Sexuality.
As part of the Access Matters’ Training Team, Lorena’s subject matter expertise includes:
- Consent and sexual violence prevention
- Multicultural sexual health
- Sexuality and Latines
- Understanding sexual orientation and gender diversity
- Providing inclusive and affirming care to LGBQ/T patients
- Incorporation of theater for sexuality education
- Reproductive life planning
- Counseling youth about HIV/STI prevention
- Pregnancy Options Counseling [training in Spanish]. Ongoing training from September 2012 to December 2015. Audience: Mexican immigrants
- HIV/STI prevention [training in Spanish]. Ongoing training from September 2012 to December 2015. Audience: Mexican immigrants
- Sexual orientation and gender diversity [training in Spanish]. January-May 2014. Audience: Latines training to be health promoters in Norristown, PA
- Theatre of the Oppressed and Race. January, 2018. Audience: Social workers in training
Selected Conference Presentations
- Olvera-Moreno, L. (2017, December). Sex Education through Drama: Using participatory theater as a tool for sexuality education. Pre-conference presented at the 2017 National Sex Ed Conference, Atlantic City, New Jersey.
- Nasserzadeh, S., Pillai-Friedman, S., Olvera-Moreno, L. & Kumru, R. (2017, December). International Symposium: Adapting US sexuality education materials for Latines and people from Latin America. Roundtable presented at the 2017 National Sex Ed Conference, Atlantic City, New Jersey.
- Olvera-Moreno, L. & Stabb, D. (2016, December). Whose Sex Ed is it anyway?: Using improv techniques in sexuality education. Workshop presented at the 2016 National Sex Ed Conference, Atlantic City, New Jersey.
- Olvera-Moreno, L. & Levand, M. (2016, June). Cross-cultural code-switching in sexuality: Adaptation for inclusivity. Workshop presented at the 2016 conference of the American Association for Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists, San Jose, Puerto Rico.
- Simich, E., Olvera-Moreno, L., Galarza, J., & Coriano, J. (2016, June). Desafiando las percepciones y las consideraciones culturales al trabajar con clients Latines desde la perspectiva de Latines terapeutas y educadores sexuales. Roundtable presented at the 2016 conference of the American Association for Sexuality Educators, Counselors, and Therapists, San Jose, Puerto Rico.
- Olvera-Moreno, L. (2015, December). Sexuality education for Latinos: Understanding Latino culture and sexuality. Workshop presented at the 2015 National Sex Ed Conference, New Brunswick, New Jersey.
- Olvera-Moreno, L. (2014, December). Curtain call for sex: using Theatre of the Oppressed for sexuality education. Workshop presented at the 2014 National Sex Ed Conference, Meadowlands, New Jersey.
- Olvera-Moreno, L. (2017). Review of the atlas of erotic anatomy and arousal. American Journal of Sexuality Education. Doi: 10.1080/15546128.2017.1298067
- Olvera-Moreno, L. (in press). Sexual orientation around the globe. In T. Clark, T. Gilbert, & K. Rayne (Eds.), Orientation: Teaching about identity, attraction, and behaviors. The Center for Sex Education: Morristown, NJ
- DiGioia, M. K. Rayne, K. & Olvera-Moreno, L. (Eds.). (2017). Your move: A teen pregnancy prevention curriculum. Carnegie Mellon University: Pittsburgh, PA
- Moon, Allison (2017). Sexo entre mujeres (L. Olvera-Moreno, Trans.). Lunatic Ink: Portland, CO