Research Analyst and Trainer
Hilary O’Connell is a Philadelphia-based community organizer, educator, and researcher working towards gender justice in sexual and reproductive health care. They currently serve as the Research Analyst at AccessMatters, conducting original health services research and evaluation within programs serving marginalized adults and adolescents across Pennsylvania. As a Trainer at AccessMatters, and through their work with the Healthcare Is a Human Right campaign of Put People First! PA, Hilary has developed and delivered a broad range of trainings, workshops, and lectures to clinical providers, direct service staff, academics, organizers, and the public—with the ultimate goal of facilitating inclusive and affirming health care for queer and trans folks everywhere. Outside of their professional public health work, Hilary was a co-founder and lead organizer of grassroots fundraising group Philly Queer Brunch from 2014-2017, and the Chair and lead organizer of the annual IvyQ undergraduate LGBTQ conference in 2013. They hold in BA in women’s, gender, and sexuality studies from Yale University.
As part of the AccessMatters’ Training Team, Hilary’s subject matter expertise includes:
- Understanding sexual orientation and gender diversity
- Providing inclusive and affirming care to LGBQ/T patients
- Developing inclusive and affirming services for trans and gender-nonconforming college students
- Developing culturally responsive data collection tools and processes
- Implementing problem data systems in inclusive ways
- Inclusive and Affirming Care for Trans and Gender-Nonconforming College Students. May 28, 2018. Client: American College Health Association.
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity: Parts I and II. Feb 7 & April 4, 2018. Co-facilitated with Shannon Criniti. Client: Philadelphia Department of Public Health.
- Gender and Sexuality in Family Planning. Sept 27, 2016. Co-facilitated with Shannon Criniti. Client: National Family Planning and Reproductive Health Association.
Selected Conference Presentations
- Oral presentation (upcoming): Evidence of Impact: School-Based Health Resource Centers and Adolescent Sexual and Reproductive Health. Hilary O’Connell & Meghan Rich. NACCHO Annual 2018: Unleashing the Power of Local Public Health. July 12, 2018. New Orleans, LA.
- Oral presentation: Evaluating and Addressing Clients’ Absence from Care in a Statewide Free Breast & Cervical Cancer Early Detection Program. Hilary O’Connell. Understanding Public Health in Pennsylvania 2018. April 3, 2018. Lancaster, PA.
- Oral presentation: Affirming Gender and Sexuality in Clinical Care. Hilary O’Connell & Shannon Criniti. Leading the Way 2017. Oct 24, 2017. Philadelphia, PA.
- Panel presentation: Queer Futures after Obergefell. Hilary O’Connell, Amber Hollibaugh, Demoya Gordon, & Chinyere Ezie. 23rd Annual Rebellious Lawyering Conference. Feb 18, 2017. New Haven, CT.
- Oral presentation: Gender and Sexuality: Pronouns, Practices, and Possibilities. Shannon Criniti & Hilary O’Connell. 34th Annual Maryland Reproductive Health Update. April 22, 2016. Baltimore, MD.
- Panel presentation: Topics in Legal Theory: Disabling Consent, or Reconstructing Sexual Autonomy. Joseph Fischel & Hilary O’Connell. Midwest Political Science Association Conference. April 19, 2015. Chicago, IL.
Fischel, J & O’Connell, HR. (2016). Disabling Consent, or Reconstructing Sexual Autonomy. Columbia Journal of Gender & Law 30(2).