Director of Community Outreach & Information ServicesFebruary 2020
AccessMatters, a non-profit, public health organization located in Center City Philadelphia, envisions a future where every person has the health care and information they need to thrive. In service to that vision, AccessMatters’ mission is to protect, expand, and enhance equitable access to sexual and reproductive health care and information for all people. Our team strives to advance our mission in accordance with these guiding principles: (1) sexual health is an essential component of health and wellbeing across the life span; (2) access to quality, affordable health care – including sexual and reproductive health care – is a fundamental human right; (3) every person, family, and community deserves to be treated with dignity and respect; (4) programs and services should be evidence-based, prevention-focused, and person-centered; (5) organizational excellence is best achieved through a culture of inclusion, diversity, innovation, professionalism, and accountability; (6) clients, volunteers, staff, partners, and supporters should be treated with kindness, dignity, and respect in a trauma-informed and culturally responsible environment; and (7) everyone deserves a caring workplace environment that fosters trust, teamwork, creativity, and work-life balance where work is enjoyable and where staff are supported in their professional development and their pursuit of excellence.
Reporting to the Vice President, Health Access & Service Delivery (HASD), the Director of Community Outreach & Information Services leads the hotline and community education team and function for AccessMatters. The Director must understand the Philadelphia public health resource landscape and the value of building and maintaining strong relationships with partner organizations. Additionally, this position assures that program goals and objectives, including the delivery of quality client services are met through team building and supervision of staff, continual monitoring of program data, effective communication and collaboration with other departments and other agencies.
As part of the Senior Management team, the Director embraces and advances the mission and core values of AccessMatters, setting a positive example for staff by uniting colleagues and supervisees in support of the strategic vision adopted by the Board and Chief Executive. The Director helps to provide leadership, direction, and resource stewardship to the organization, while fostering a culture of accountability, professional development, high-performance, and ethical behavior. This position is full-time and exempt.
Reporting to the Vice President for Health Access & Service Delivery, the Director of Community Outreach & Information Services will:
Lead the Hotline and Community Education Team and Program
- Provide Senior Leadership for all call center health education and referrals services.
- Supervise, train, develop, evaluate, coach, and motivate a team of direct reports, including the Senior Manager, Community Outreach & Information Services and Health Resource Specialists, to meet goals and work cooperatively to execute program strategies and manage all aspects of call center services.
- Hire, train, and evaluate staff; coordinate staff assignments, individual and group supervision, and team meetings.
- Using a strengths-based perspective, coach each staff member to build and utilize individual strengths for program activities, while providing supporting feedback and learning enhancements to address developmental needs, and taking corrective action when warranted.
- In collaboration with Vice President and Fiscal Department, manage relevant budgets and requirements in areas of deliverables, compliance, expenditures, reconciliation, invoices, contracting, and reporting.
- Complete, review, and approve project-related reports to ensure timely submission.
- Lead and actively participate in the writing of all local, state, federal and foundation grant proposals to obtain funding for services.
- Develop and implement recommendations for service improvements and enhancements, identifying service gaps for additional program development.
- Collaborate in the design and implementation of Quality Improvement Program in conjunction with the Quality Management Team.
- Collaborate with departments across the agency to increase program impact and achieve deliverables.
Lead Outreach and Social Networking Efforts to Raise Visibility and Recruit Target Population
- Direct the implementation of all outreach, marketing, and communications of HIV/AIDS health information services across the State of Pennsylvania.
- Lead the Social Networking Strategy efforts to recruitment target population individuals, MSM and high-risk heterosexual men of color.
- Oversee program-specific social media platforms.
- Interact directly with priority populations and develop new outreach and marketing techniques.
- Manage recruiter relationships, including coaching and administering incentive program.
- Collaborate with Publicity and Outreach as well as the Education and Engagement committee.
- Create, implement and maintain data collection, analysis and reports.
- Maintain referral database and quality control of data.
Advance the Mission of AccessMatters and Fulfill Organizational Duties
- As a member of Senior Management Team, exemplify our Core Values and dedication to a culture of excellent leadership, in which leaders foster an environment where staff feel valued and appreciated, where all staff hold themselves accountable in service to our community and stakeholders, and all staff eagerly pursue excellence.
- Demonstrate commitment to the principles and values of the AccessMatters Strategic Plan, including support for the organization’s efforts toward equity and commitment to social justice and public health.
- Consistently exercise discretion and sound judgment to analyze, interpret and act, evaluating possible courses of conduct and making decisions for the best outcomes for the client, team and the organization.
- Maintain high ethical standards and conduct regarding confidentiality, integrity, dual-relationships, and professional behavior overall, representing AccessMatters effectively and positively to all internal and external constituents.
- Create and maintain an inclusive and equitable work environment that is respectful of all, embraces diversity and equity, and includes diverse perspectives and talents in problem-solving.
- Complete other projects and perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience with call center platforms and telephonic delivery of health education services.
- Knowledge and experience using various social media platforms to meet program and organization outreach goals.
- Broad knowledge of and experience with public health and/or sexual and reproductive health programs and issues, including those related to adolescent health, family planning, sexually transmitted diseases, HIV/AIDS, health disparities and social determinants of health, throughout the lifespan, across impacted communities.
- Knowledge of and ability to explain HIV infection and sexually transmitted diseases, HIV care and prevention interventions, and their effects on diverse populations and in the most impacted communities.
- Knowledge and ability to counsel people on sexually transmitted diseases, family planning and related reproductive health, as well as issues that influence positive reproductive health outcomes.
- Strong understanding of the concepts and practices associated with health care service delivery, effective program management, network management and non-profit functions, and quality assurance concepts.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in applying HIPAA and other federal, state, and local regulations governing client confidentiality.
- Significant experience working as a trusted partner in the “need to know” confidentiality circle handling highly sensitive information and assignments where sound professional judgment and discretion are required.
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams, projects, and initiatives that require cross-team collaboration at all levels of staff within AccessMatters and our network organizations, to build and strengthen programs and agencies.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in reviewing and analyzing programmatic and service data to assess and monitor provider performance and quality of care, to produce core reports, and to identify trends.
- Excellent supervisory and staff development and counseling skills, and team leadership abilities for multi-dimensional program activities.
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work within a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team environment, serving diverse populations and institutions across a broad spectrum of community and clinical providers within the fields of sexual and reproductive health and maternal and child health.
- Knowledge and experience working with diverse communities with cultural humility and responsibility.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, coupled with highly developed interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to counsel others and facilitate meetings in diverse settings.
- Strong ability to produce excellent written work promptly and independently, with minimal direction or correction required.
- Ability to manage business partner relations, monitor budgets and expenditures, and follow fiscal procedures.
- Experience with web-based collaboration platforms and information management systems, portals, and intranets.
- Ability to self-manage, independently prioritize, assess and solve problems, negotiate solutions, and effectively handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, while taking direction as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple details accurately, on time, and under pressure required; project management experience strongly preferred.
- Flexible and open to changing priorities and managing multiple tasks effectively within a compressed timeframe.
- Excellent assessment, problem-solving, and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Ability to work outside normal business hours, as needed (e.g., scheduled nights and weekends).
- Eligible for all city and state mandatory clearances, e.g. criminal and child abuse clearances.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Masters in Public Health, Social Work/Human Services or related field (or equivalent field experience) preferred. Relevant industry specific experience considered in lieu of college degree where possible.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in health education, with 2-3 year experience delivery of health education via remotely.
- Experience (2 years preferred) of program leadership experience, including staff supervision and development, administrative, and budget management.
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY: Submit cover letter and resume to the Director of Community Outreach & Information Services position posted at our online career site, by going to this link: https://bit.ly/343YwKD Address cover letter to Elaine Petrossian, Vice President, Human Resources & Operations. Please include salary requirement and potential start date. No calls, please. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis with priority to those received by March 4, 2020. ACCESSMATTERS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.