Deputy Director of Research, Evaluation, and Data (RED)October 2020
AccessMatters, a non-profit, public health organization located in Center City Philadelphia, envisions a future where every person has the health care and information they need to thrive. In service to that vision, AccessMatters’ mission is to protect, expand, and enhance equitable access to sexual and reproductive health care and information for all people. Our team strives to advance our mission in accordance with these guiding principles: (1) sexual health is an essential component of health and wellbeing across the life span; (2) access to quality, affordable health care – including sexual and reproductive health care – is a fundamental human right; (3) every person, family, and community deserves to be treated with dignity and respect; (4) programs and services should be evidence-based, prevention=focused, and person-centered; (5) organizational excellence is best achieved through a culture of inclusion, diversity, innovation, professionalism, and accountability; (6) clients, volunteers, staff, partners, and supporters should be treated with kindness, dignity, and respect in a trauma-informed and culturally responsible environment; and (7) everyone deserves a caring workplace environment that fosters trust, teamwork, creativity, and work-life balance where work is enjoyable and where staff are supported in their professional development and their pursuit of excellence.
Reporting to the Director of Research, Evaluation, and Data (RED), the Deputy Director serves as a “right hand” to the Director, providing operational leadership, oversight, and management to the RED team. The Deputy Director will take accountable responsibility for assisting the Director with programmatic infrastructure development as well as the development and implementation of policies and procedures relevant to managing RED. This position will also act as the primary liaison between the Data team and stakeholders (e.g., other AccessMatters teams, external partners). Therefore, a key skill of the Deputy Director will be the ability to translate technical language for a lay audience and vice versa. In addition, the Deputy Director will document existing processes for migrating data files into AccessMatters’ database, review current databases and reports, determine gaps in documentation, and create external-facing materials about data procedures.
The Deputy Director embraces and advances the mission and core values of AccessMatters, setting a positive example for staff by uniting colleagues and supervisees in support of the strategic vision. The Deputy helps to provide leadership, direction, and resource stewardship to the organization, while fostering a culture of accountability, professional development, high-performance, and ethical behavior. The Deputy will interact with AccessMatters’ internal team members and external stakeholders, including consultants, community-based partners, government representatives, and the general community. As a program leader, the Deputy also advances AccessMatters’ organizational mission and strategic vision, serving as a role model for staff. This Deputy will be expected to participate in all departmental meetings and activities as needed. This position is full time and exempt.
Reporting to the Director of RED, the Deputy will:
Lead Program Operations, Stakeholder Relations, and Goal Attainment to Ensure High Quality Services
- Align with the Director of RED to provide accountable operational leadership for assigned programs within the portfolio of services.
- In collaboration with the Vice President, Strategic Initiatives, the Director of RED, and the Fiscal Department, manage relevant budgets and contract requirements in areas of deliverables, compliance, expenditures, reconciliation, invoices, contracting, and reporting.
- Build and maintain strong relationships and communications with academic partners, community partners, stakeholders, and potential consulting clients.
- Lead and execute Initiatives to grow, strengthen, and support RED programs and consulting services
- Assist the Director with the hiring, training, coordination, coaching, and evaluation of staff, and provide interim supervision and team leadership as assigned.
- Prepare, review, and approve program reports to ensure timely and accurate submission.
- Lead and actively participate in writing local, state, federal, and foundation grant proposals to obtain funding for services.
- Collaborate with departments across the agency to increase program impact and achieve deliverables.
Manage and Support Agency Efforts in Quality Data Collection, Security, Reporting, and Analysis
- Provide project management and leadership for select RED team projects.
- Manage organizational HIPAA compliance for core program data security, in collaboration with key agency stakeholders.
- Interpret and implement data needs in service of project workplans.
- Develop implementation fidelity benchmarks for specific projects in coordination with team members.
- Collect, monitor, and interpret implementation fidelity data.
- Provide data support to external partners including technical assistance around sharing data and data quality.
- Assist with data quality and accuracy activities.
- Provide data reports for internal and external reporting.
- Contribute to data analysis and annual report writing.
- Enter data into data warehouse in coordination with data team.
- Develop plan for continuous quality improvement in coordination with team members.
Advance the Mission of AccessMatters and Fulfill Organizational Duties
- Serve as agency “ambassador” and contact for external stakeholders to establish and/or maintain good relationships with provider agencies, key contractors, government officials, and collaborative partners to benefit consumers and facilitate the work of program team and the agency overall.
- As a Program Leader, exemplify our Core Values and dedication to a culture of excellent leadership, in which leaders foster an environment where staff feel valued and appreciated, where all staff hold themselves accountable in service to our community and stakeholders, and all staff eagerly pursue excellence.
- Demonstrate commitment to the principles and values of the AccessMatters Strategic Plan, including support for the organization’s efforts toward equity and commitment to social justice and public health.
- Consistently exercise discretion and sound judgment to analyze, interpret and act, evaluating possible courses of conduct and making decisions for the best outcomes for the client, team and the organization.
- Maintain high ethical standards and conduct regarding confidentiality, integrity, dual-relationships, and professional behavior overall, representing AccessMatters effectively and positively to all internal and external constituents.
- Execute projects and perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Superior ability to translate technical language for a lay audience and interpret the needs of non-technical staff and teams for the Data team both in oral and written communication.
- Ability to manage business client relations, monitor budgets and expenditures, and follow fiscal procedures.
- Some exposure to software and platforms relevant to reporting and database administration, such as SQL, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS), and visual studio.
- Technical Writing: Plan, develop, organize, write, and edit documentation for both general and technical audiences; analyze documents to maintain continuity of content and style.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with HIPAA security and privacy guidelines strongly preferred, along with experience working with Medical and Public Health records and different EMR systems.
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work within a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team. environment, serving diverse populations and institutions across a broad spectrum of community and clinical providers within sexual and reproductive health.
- Knowledge and experience working with diverse communities with cultural humility and responsibility.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, coupled with highly developed interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to counsel others and facilitate meeting and programs in diverse settings.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and work in project teams, managing multiple projects with multiple deadlines and priorities successfully.
- Ability to self-manage, independently prioritize, assess and solve problems, negotiate solutions, and effectively handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, while taking direction as needed.
- Flexible and open to changing priorities and managing multiple tasks effectively within a compressed timeframe.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Experience with web-based collaboration platforms and information management systems, portals, and intranets.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and work collaboratively in project teams while also being self-motivated and manage projects with multiple deadlines and priorities, with knowledge of project management tools and technology and ability to create detailed work-related documentation, operations documents and change management plans, preferred.
- Demonstrated ability and desire to work within a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team environment, serving diverse populations and institutions across a broad spectrum of community and clinical providers within the fields of sexual and reproductive health and maternal and child health.
Education and Experience
- Required – Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Computer Science or related field
- Required – 3 years of Business Intelligence/Data Warehousing experience, preferably in a healthcare environment.
- Required – minimum of 2 years of experience in computer database management, programming, or software development as well as training in programming and reporting applications, troubleshooting skills, and ability to evaluate and manage client business needs.
- Preferred – experience in public health and medical records and/or knowledge of sexual and reproductive health.
- Preferred – minimum of one year of experience in technical writing to create program guides, formal reports, and other authoritative materials.
How To Apply
HOW TO APPLY: Submit cover letter and resume to the Deputy Director of Research, Evaluation, and Data position posted at our online career site, by going to this link: https://bit.ly/343YwKD Address cover letter to Elaine Petrossian, Vice President, Human Resources & Operations. Please include salary requirement and potential start date. No calls, please. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with priority given to those received by October 30. AccessMatters is an equal opportunity employer.