Coordinator, Policy & AdvocacyFebruary 2018
AccessMatters is seeking a passionate, driven individual committed to preserving and expanding access to sexual and reproductive health to support and expand policy and advocacy work at AccessMatters. Reporting to the Communications and Policy Manager, the Policy and Advocacy Coordinator will use strong writing, research, and organizational skills to support the development, launch, and execution of AccessMatters’ public policy work and advocacy campaigns to build a broad base of support among elected officials and the general public, with the goal of advancing AccessMatters’ policy and advocacy priorities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Policy and Advocacy Coordinator will:
Keep AccessMatters Externally Engaged and Visible in Current Public Policy Dialogues By:
- Working with the Communications and Policy Manager and members of the management team to develop and implement a comprehensive city, regional, and national policy agenda to advance sexual and reproductive health goals; updating agenda annually in collaboration with the Communications and Policy Manager under advisement of the Communications and Advocacy Committee.
- Maintaining legislative policy tracker to monitor bills of interest to AccessMatters and recommending opportunities for action.
- Assisting in developing and implementing inclusive strategies to mobilize supporters and other constituents to take action, including coordinating and leading educational programs for supporters and/or offline/online outreach.
- Developing and strengthening relationships with likeminded organizations doing related issue work; representing AccessMatters in local and state coalitions, at conferences, and on tasks forces related to this work, as needed.
- Conducting policy-related research for current or future policy and advocacy work.
Use Strong Writing and Organization Skills to Produce Timely Policy & Advocacy Messages and Materials By:
- Supporting the day-to-day implementation of policy and advocacy work at AccessMatters, including but not limited to: preparing written remarks for presentations, compiling reports, developing and drafting policy briefs, and writing correspondence.
- Collaborating with the Communications and Policy Manager to develop appropriate and inclusive framing and messaging for various presentations and written communications, including print and online communications.
- Assisting with developing communications pieces on highly sensitive subjects, including public comments, testimony, op-eds, letters to the editor, website content, and social media content for advocacy-related action.
- Creating and maintaining online policy/issue advocacy toolkits that can be used by external stakeholders to increase visibility and advocacy around key sexual and reproductive health issues.
Provide Operational Support to Advance All Advocacy Communications Needs for AccessMatters By:
- Scheduling social media content using scheduling tools and managing online interactions.
- Providing support for regular updates to staff, board, and committee on advocacy and policy-related work.
- Supporting the AccessMatters Communications and Advocacy Committee by assisting with scheduling and organizing meetings, maintaining committee files, and taking minutes.
- Maintaining contact databases (i.e., key policy influencers, elected officials, supporter lists, and relevant media contacts).
- Participating in efforts to raise funds and other resources to support this work.
- Performing administrative tasks and other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Needed
- Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communications, especially with a wide variety of diverse constituents.
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend and synthesize complex policy issues, and distill them into key points and summaries that are relevant and accessible to AccessMatters’ staff and constituents as well as the general public.
- Proficiency using social media in a work environment, including: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, etc.
- Demonstrated familiarity with online and traditional advocacy work, including online advocacy tools and ability to use online analytics to measure campaign success.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws and regulations that impact our mission and goals.
- Passion for expanding access to reproductive/sexual health care, maternal/child health, and related public health and social justice issues.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Ability to manage time efficiently and stay organized while working on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Able to shift priorities and deliver accurate work as needed in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work outside normal business hours, as needed (e.g., some nights and weekends).
- Ability to travel.
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite including Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, and Adobe Premiere preferred.
- Demonstrated skills in HTML coding, CRM, and other website production software preferred.
Education/Work Experience Needed
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required in political science, public administration, public policy, or related public health field.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience with community organizing, advocacy work, public policy, or nonprofit/healthcare communications.
How To Apply
DEADLINE TO APPLY: ASAP – submissions will be reviewed on a rolling basis with priority to those received by Monday March 5, 2018.
HOW TO APPLY: E-mail cover letter and resume to Recruiting@accessmatters.org. Address cover letter to Elaine Petrossian, Vice President, Human Resources & Operations. Please include salary requirement and potential start date. No calls, please.
ACCESSMATTERS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.